Monday 1 August 2016

A Dying USB Flash Stick



A last note from a ‘Dying’ flash drive
My name is Vic, Vic Oldhart and I am a flash disk. I am writing this quick note for you from Dandora. I need you to read it quickly and hopefully get the message. When you do, please pass it on.
I am sure you are familiar with me because there are so many of us out there. You probably have one of my relatives with you right now. You see, even though there are too many of us, each of us is unique, our maker ensured that each of us is distinct, just like you are an individual each of us is also unique. So I have a special story.
I am sure you know that we are very handy to have around. When you need to print that document and your computer is not connected to a printer you run to us to help you transfer that file. After that you probably forget about us, throw us back to into the box, attach us to your keys or just pop us into your bag.  

But maybe there is a part of me that you probably don’t know and that is what I want to tell you about. I am now not in a nice bag like my friends, I am not in a special office transferring files from accounts to HR or carrying exciting games for kids. I am in the dumpsite. This place is really bad.  I am facing my final days in life and soon the compressor will lift us up, and throw me and the rest of the garbage into the pit and that will be it for me, so I decided as one last act of courage, to send you this little missive. 

I was made many years ago in a far, far away land. I was precious to my maker and I remember him stamping his uniqueness in me along the conveyor belt of that USB making factory. He knew we were needed all over the world, but to be useful we had to have good memory and good physical features and so he ensured all our parts were working well. We were then tested for quality and I emerged among the best. I was so happy about myself – who was like me, a new flashy flash disk with the highest capacity in the market. I was actually quite big at 64GB, there were not many like me as many people could only afford the smaller capacity drives. A few of my friends and I were very special – only the well-heeled could afford us. We were the ones meant to do special jobs in big offices and we looked forward to our assignments with eagerness. 

Finally, when we came out of production we were ready to be shipped all over the world. Our maker however gave us final instructions before we left. We were to remain obedient, to carry useful information and to know that there is an enemy out there against us. We never thought about those words well enough as we could not wait to get to our destinations.  I remember the long journey in the high seas in a shipping container with hardly any air. It was traumatising but we finally arrived in Mombasa. 

It took a while to be cleared at the port but finally the big crane lifted us up out of the ship and into a waiting truck. We were now headed to the city. It was my first time to be in Kenya and so everything looked new and exciting. I had heard so much about the Lions of Tsavo, the Elephants and Buffalos but the most the amazing thing I looked forward to were people of Kenya. I so badly wanted to be owned by a high profile sports personality like Collins Injeera or Julius ‘Javelin’ Yego.  The road journey was exciting, except for a few potholes here and there and the queues from Mlolongo but we finally arrived in the green city under the sun. I was moved to a shop in a place I came to learn was an electronics shop in Moi Avenue and after only a day on display a dashing young girl in school uniform actually bought me. 

Part of me was sad as I had not landed a celebrity or a senior politician as I had always dreamt. I was now owned by a regular person, a teenager actually, her name was Evelyn. But then the fun was just about to begin.  You see, people use us for all sorts of reason, for some it is to buy videos and games from that guy in the backstreet, others use us to carry nice smiling photos of their new-born babies but some others also use us to carry secret information, like data from a school exam management system or some government secret. I was ready to be useful to my new owner just as I had been instructed by our maker. Throughout my short life with Evelyn, I have done very exciting jobs for her and others. I have carried beautiful memories for people, saved huge school projects for students, travelled far and wide and brought many a smile to people. I never learnt to say to what Evelyn wanted, as long as I had capacity I carried it all.  This carried on for many years until she finished school and college. 

And then one day, Evelyn wanted to apply for the American Green Card. She saved all the important documents in me and then tucked me nicely in her clutch and off we went to the city centre in search of a good cyber café from where she could do her application. When we got there, she logged on as usual and opened the right pages for her application and then she was prompted to upload her documents and passport size photo. It was at that moment that she reached out for me from her clutch and slotted me into this old machine at the cyber café. As soon as I was plugged in, I could smell that the environment was not great. Too many USB’s had been here and this computer had been used to access all sorts of sites some very bad that I should advise you never to visit. But then I assumed something, that the owner of the place might have installed some form of protection for his machines. I was very wrong. 

Within a moment, I noticed the files in my memory were corrupted. It was now total chaos, I tried to beep and signal my little red light to see if Evelyn could unplug me immediately but she did not notice. Every second counted and as she fumbled through the file explorer trying to access me, she got the message: Drive Inaccessible. 

On my end, I was under extreme pressure. I was being choked from every side by this new virus that was circulating on the internet. All my files were now corrupted and many copies of the virus were loaded onto me. Sadly, Evelyn did not know this was happening. After half an hour of trying to access her document, she decided to try another cyber café. She unplugged me and off we went, as we walked the crowded streets of Nairobi, I really wished humans could understand the flashdisk language so I could tell her that I was infected with a deadly virus and in urgent need of cleansing. And so we went to another machine. I feared for the worst, Not only could my files not be useful but I was now going to transmit this virus to another computer. 

As Evelyn shared her need with Chris, the guy who managed the new Cybercafe, he asked if he could see me. As a policy, he said he does not allow clients to plug in their own USB sticks before he checked them for viruses. He had this supersize server computer that run the entire Cyber cafe named ‘Crossforce’ under his desk and he immediately plugged me in – it was a dazzling moment of both shame and guilt on my part as the dangerous virus was detected by the strong anti-virus in Chris’ Machine, I was carrying a virus and did not say it, the virus had choked me and corrupted all my faculties. I was guilty that I was useful to Evelyn and let her down on a very crucial assignment. I had lost all her selfies, adventure photos, scanned school certificates, games and movies. I was #heartbroken. 

I could now see the disappointment on Evelyn’s face. I could only imagine the number of nkt’s on her Facebook post at that moment. I had been a let-down. But most surprisingly, Chris was not shocked. I had expected her to admonish Evelyn for having an infected flashdisk  and worse still for bringing it to his Cyber Cafe. But he calmly looked at her and reassured her that he had seen way too many people with the same problem. A panicky Evelyn asked if there was anything he could do to save her documents and he said he can try. He immediately engaged a new level of the antivirus software called ‘RestorationX’ and the process of file recovery begun. 

As this was going on, I could tell that my files were being rearranged into new sectors. After nearly three hours, Chris approached Evelyn who was seated in the Café alone, as everybody else had left for the day. Evelyn was really anxious to hear an update and Chris said sternly: ‘Crossforce has managed to rescue your files, folders and all documents but the disk is severely infected, you have to get a new one and I recommend NewHart, the latest from the same company that makes Crossforce. Do not use this USB anymore as it is still infected 

A mixture of joy and pain welled up in my heart. I was not useful to Evelyne anymore but at least her crucial documents were saved and they would a new home soon. Chris also helped her to make her Visa application as they chatted animatedly.
But even more surprising for me was when Chris said to Evelyne that she could not pay any money as she had suffered too much with me already. There was a sparkle in his eye and I could not help but notice a warm smile on Eveylyn as she took the compliment. As Chris and Evelyn walked out, I overheard him ask her ‘Would you like to have a coffee sometime?’
***
Soon after I was popped into Chris’ dustbin and Newhart was nicely put into Evelyn purse. I felt so jealous but my fate was now clear. Soon after I was carried out by some guys and into this huge dumpsite.  So here is my quick message to you and all your friends – Please get rid of all your Oldharts, run quickly to Chris who is offering restoration and cleansing and even replacement with Newhart. 

I was put off because of a virus infection and Newhart had now taken my place. Apparently, Newhart is virus free and has layers upon layers of protection patented by his cosmic manufacturer and certified by full Assurance.







No comments:

Post a Comment